- Social Services - Consistently expect the police to 'hold the fort' out of office hours and at weekends due to 'limited staffing'. Expect the police to provide a 'duty of care' to people they have 'misplaced' when they were in their care.
- Environmental Health - Provide absolutely no out of hours services in relation to noise complaints.
- Highways Depts - Have answer machines that instruct the public to contact the police.
- Health Service - Fail to provide sufficient resources for patients with mental health issues, expecting the police to provide 'places of safety'.
- HM Coroners - No out of hours service do deal with those 'administrative' sudden deaths that are due to natural causes.
These are but a few examples of those agencies that, despite a 24hr responsibility, often only provide a service during office hours. The longer they are able to get away with it, especially during the current climate of budgetary constraint, the longer it will continue. The police service is no longer able to provide a 24/7 fix everything service, even if we would like to. We have neither the resources, the money or the time. At the end of the day, building better communities is all about 'WORKING IN PARTNERSHIP' isn't it?
We're never likely to manage it whilst the police are carrying shirkers!